The Supreme Court Museum was created in 1998 on the eightieth anniversary of the Supreme Court Senate. The foundation of the museum was greatly facilitated by Dietrich Andrejs Lebers, the son of the Senator Augusts Lebers, both by donating valuable objects and documents from his father’s archive and by providing financial support via the August Leber Memorial Foundation to set up the Museum.
The museum contains historical evidence and documents dating back to 1918. These testify to the beginnings of the Supreme Court Senate and the opening of the Palace of Justice on December 9, 1938. Materials containing evidence of the changes to the judicial system introduced by occupation powers and the fates of its Senators during the Soviet period, their historical heritage, are collected.
In 2005, when the 15th anniversary of the restoration of the Latvian Supreme Court was celebrated, the museum was supplemented with and exhibition about the period from the national Awakening to the present time. Separate stands are devoted to the events of 1990, restoration of the three-instance court system in 1995, as well as activities of the Rehabilitation Division. The display includes historic decisions of the Supreme Council and the Plenary Session of the Supreme Court, the initial Supreme Court reorganization project, a rehabilitation certificate, and other items. Gvido Zemribo, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, significantly contributed to development of the exhibition.
In 2009 when celebrating the ninetieth anniversary of the Senate in Latvia the Museum collection on the history of the Senate of Latvia was expanded, and a brochure “The Senators. The Senate of Latvia, 1918-1940” was published. Relatives of former senators Mintauts Cakste, Teodors Bergtals, Janis Ankravs, Voldemars Zamuels, Jekabs Grots, Janis Skudre visited the Supreme Court.
The materials from the collection of the Supreme Court Museum were used to produce the video-film “Yesterday and Today. The 95th Anniversary of the Latvian Senate”. It was produced by the Supreme Court in cooperation with Kursas TV in 2013, to mark the 95th anniversary of the Senate of Latvia.
Every year more than 50 guided tours are conducted for foreign delegation, students, school pupils, exile Latvians, lawyers, architects and other interested persons. The museum is open to the public on the days the Supreme Court holds an open house. At other times, anyone interested the past and the future of the Latvian courts may visit the Supreme Court museum by appointment. To make an appointment, please call the Division of Communication at +371 67020396.
The Supreme Court of the Republic of Latvia
Brivibas bulvaris 36,
Riga, LV – 1511