On December 9 – the day when 80 years ago the Palace of Justice was inaugurated – the State Chancellery opened a virtual tour “Brīvības 36” which tells about the building, in which there currently are the Cabinet of Ministers, the State Chancellery, the Supreme Court and the Ministry of Justice.

To show what is being kept in the premises of the historical building created 80 years ago, the State Chancellery established a digital tour of the 360-degree panoramic photographs and descriptions of premises, which in the future will be supplemented with the narrative on the history of Latvian government and on the creation of the State.

Virtual tour shows not only the meeting hall of the government, Prime Ministers' hall, a guest lounge, a library, but also the Prime Minister's office and a unique panoramic view from the roof of the building. The digital tour also includes the place described in tales – the "bunker" behind the thick metal door, in which the then Prime Minister Ivars Godmanis found shelter during the turbulent events of 1991.

The Supreme Court or the Senate is also situated in the building at the Brivibas Boulevard 36, and the courtroom of the Senate and the office of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court can be viewed as well on the virtual tour. On the other hand, in the part of the building where the Ministry of Justice is located, you can get acquainted with the office of the Minister of Justice.

The building at Brivibas Boulevard 36 was built in 1936-1938 as the Palace of Justice. After the opening, its central part facing Brivibas Street was occupied by the Senate of Latvia and the Ministry of Justice, and the part facing Elizabetes Street – by the Court Chamber. In 1940 the building was taken over by the Soviet government and the Council of Ministers, as well as other Soviet institutions were situated there. After the restoration of the independence of Latvia, the building became the seat of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia and the State Chancellery, and the Supreme Court returned only to the part of the Palace of Justice where the Court Chamber was originally located.

Take a virtual tour of the building on Brivibas Boulevard 36 here.

 

 

Information prepared by
Rasma Zvejniece, the Head of the Division of Communication of the Supreme Court
E-mail: rasma.zvejniece@at.gov.lv, telephone: +371 67020396, +371 2865221